Thursday, 2 January 2014

Mexican Style Sweetcorn Chowder


Mexican Style Sweetcorn Chowder Title


OK! - so it's as Mexican as I am. . . but I love Mexican food, and this to me has a bit of a Mexican vibe to it!

I first came across a Sweetcorn Chowder recipe via Nigella Lawson a couple of years ago, but I have slowly adapted it and changed some of the ingredients to suit my own tastes. I am pretty sure I have said this before but I am a bit of a garlic-aholic so I tend to put a tad too much garlic in everything! That's easily resolved though! I originally didn't add garlic in to the recipe as well, I simply used garlic oil. If you aren't as big a fan of repelling your other half with your breath as I am, just omit the garlic!


DSC_0468

As you can see. . . It's still Christmas here! - 5 days until the Orthodox Christmas!!

It has been said that the colour of this chowder is not the most appetising, however I quite like it, probably because I know what it tastes like!

DSC_0462


If you take a look in the notes section below the recipe, I mention using Cous-cous instead of Chia seed, which I have made in the past, however we all know the amazing powers of Chia seed!

I do struggle to find Chia seed near me, but it is easily bought on-line, or in some health food shops, which is ironically where I found it. The only problem-o was that I had to bulk buy as they didn't sell it in small quantities, so now I am on a mission to see how many things I can incorporate Chia into! I think it would go really nicely in some form of vegan cookies. . . I'll have to look into that one!


DSC_0469



   Recipe:

1 cup of frozen Sweetcorn (see Notes)
1/2 Jalapeño (see Notes)
1 small Red Onion (see Notes)
Garlic oil (for frying) (See Notes)
2 tsp Chili Flakes (see Notes)
1 Clove of Garlic (See Notes)
1 Vegetable Stock cube
1 tbsp Chia Seeds (See Notes)



1. Finely chop the onion and Jalapeño.
2. Soak the Chia seeds in 5 tbsp's of cold water, leave to form a gel (approx 5 minutes)
3. Fry the onion and Jalapeño in the Oil until soft.
4. Measure out 500ml of hot Water into a measuring jug and add the Stock cube, mix until dissolved. 
5. Crush the Garlic into the Onion and Jalapeños once fried, don't do before hand as the Garlic has a tendency to burn (and no one likes burnt garlic!)
6. Stir in the Sweetcorn and Chia gel, cover with the Stock and bring to a boil. 
7. Once the mix is brought to boiling point, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (this is for no reason other than it is easier to handle, and boiling soup on hands. . . hurts!) 
8. Pour the mix into a blender, and blend to required texture. (I prefer it not completely smooth, it should have some texture and you should be able to view the vegetables slightly still.) Place the soup back in the pan and bring back to the boil.
9. Enjoy!!!
      The soup may need more liquid added after it has been blended, depending on how you like it!






   Notes:


   Sweetcorn is best either fresh or frozen, but it is easier if it is frozen. I don't like using tinned sweetcorn as it    is usually soaked in sugared water.

   Substitutions:

     Jalapeno - Here I used Jalapeno's, but if you can't get hold of any, just add 1tsp of chilli flakes in.
     Red Onion - White onion works as well, but the red tend to be sweeter.
     Garlic Oil - Oils of any calibre work nicely, depending on preference.
     Chilli Flakes - I only used the Chilli Flakes for garnish, but they can be added to the soup as well.
     Garlic - If you use the garlic oil, you may find you don't need the garlic as well. 
     Chia Seeds - I am a massive fan of Chia, but I sometimes make a version using Cous-cous instead!




   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...