Monday, 15 October 2012

Pistou


Pistou title



In my pre-vegan, student days, there was nothing better than a dish of pasta coated with garlicky Pesto and sprinkled with Cheese. (there would probably be a pint sat next to said dish of carbs! - but being as I don't drink any more, and my diet has changed drastically. This is  my alternative.)

DSC_0195

Pistou always looks oily after it starts to settle and separate out, but for an entire bowl I would probably only use 1 or 2 tsp's. A little goes a long way. It is the Hulk of the pasta world!

DSC_0193

Although this sauce can be used directly onto pasta, there are hundreds of uses for it, in soups, casseroles, or in pies and pastries.

 DSC_0191

Being that there are only four ingredients, three if you don't count the salt seasoning it really does just go to show how simple ingredients really will come together to make something so truly brilliant.

I wish we had a vegan cafe around here, and in my perfect vegan cafe they would be serving Pea and Pistou soup, Pannini's with Roasted Tomatoes and Pistou, Sweet Onion Tart, with side orders of Pistou!

In all seriousness though, I really do wish there were more Vegan Cafe's around. I went out for dinner with my boyfriend, and had the choice of three dishes on an entire menu (and one of them involved me having to pick cheese off a tart). That's why we always end up cooking at home! Better food, what we want and when we want it!

Anyway, here is my recipe for Pistou, basic, but so useful! Make a batch and keep it in a jar in the fridge and use it on everything! Some people are addicted to Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter, but that's another story!) but I think I might be addicted to Pistou!

I'm going to continue to long for my days at University, and you're now going to whizz up a batch of this!
just promise me that as soon as you have made it, you are going to tear off a hunk of rustic style bread, toast it lightly and scrape a load of Pistou over it. Heaven.


   Recipe:

4 cups packed Basil leaves
5 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
1 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt 
1. Roughly tear up the basil leaves and place in a food processor or blender pulse until everything looks chopped
2. Slowly pour in the olive oil with the blades running, the mix may change to a slightly lighter colour at this point, don't worry.
3. Scrape the mix out of the processor and taste, add as much or as little salt as you wish. 


   


   Notes:


Some recipes call for cheese to be added after the Pistou is made, but then, obviously it is no longer Vegan, and is in my mind, no longer a Pistou, it crosses more along the lines into a Pesto, a whole different ball game.

you could add pine nuts if you wished, but I really prefer it this way.

I'm a bit of a garlic fiend, so I prefer my Pistou quite garlic-y, if you don't like garlic, cut back on the number of cloves used.

I have seen Pistou made after the basil has been cooked, but I think that this almost knocks out some of the flavour of the Basil, and is quite unnecessary.  

   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...